Star Wars Legion: Painting Speeder Bikes

Following on from my freshly painted stormtroopers, I moved to the two Imperial Speeder Bikes from the Star Wars Legion core boxed set.

I have to say that these were really a lot of fun to paint!  I loosely followed Sorastro’s excellent tutorial video but since I mainly use Foundry Paint System rather than Citadel paints, the method isn’t identical.


Assembly & Prep

First I assembled the components of the hard plastic speeder bikes, except for the steering handles and footrests.  The components went together perfectly with virtually no clean-up and I mounted the bikes on 3/32 inch (about 2.38 mm) aluminium tubing for painting.  There was no need to glue them onto the tubing as it was a pretty snug fit.  The bikes were then primed using Army Painter Uniform Grey spray.  I then assembled the unit leader rider but left the arms off the trooper rider and primed them both using Citadel Corax White spray (which is really a very pale grey).  The left over steering handles and footrests were primed with brush-on surface primer from Vallejo.

Riders

Starting with the riders, I gave the armour sections a drybrush of pure white (Foundry 33C) then painted the fabric sections in black (Foundry 34A) before giving them a heavy drybrush of a very dark brown (Foundry 42A) and a lighter drydrush of Foundry Night Sky 62A, which is the same combination as I recently used on my Ninja.  Although it’s not strictly accurate to the movies, I again painted the weapons in Army Painter Machine Gun Metal before giving them a wash with GW Nuln Oil as I prefer them to contrast the black of the uniform.  The helmet visor was painted Foundry Charcoal Black (34B) with a highlight of Foundry Night Sky 62A.  The holster was painted charcoal black (Foundry 34B), the mask in Foundry Black (34A) and the soles of the boots Foundry Tan 14B. Next I used a grey fine-liner for the gaps between sections of armour and finally I weathered the boots with a light wash of Army Painter Mud Brown.

Bikes

The main body of the bikes were painted in Foundry Peaty Brown 61B then drybrushed in Foundry 29C, particularly focusing on the control panel and hard edges.  The metalwork (including rear panel, undercarriage, poles and gun) was painted in a 50/50 mix of Army Painter Machine Gun Metal / Rough Iron.  The seat was painted with Foundry Bay Brown 42A and the bedroll in Foundry Palomino 56A before everything got a fairly heavy wash of Army Painter Strong Tone wash.  The bedroll was then highlighted with the original base colour and the straps were lined with a 0,3mm brown fine liner.  Finally Citadel Ironbreaker was applied to a few parts of the body and metalwork as highlights, edges and scratches.

Base & Finishing

For the base I used a razor saw to extend the firing arc lines down the side of the base then glued the stem to the centre.  When gluing the stem, take care to orient it so that the bike will point towards the cutout part of the base.  I covered the top of the base with Reeves Coarse Texture Gel (taking care not to go over the firing arc lines) then covered the top and sides of the base with more brush-on surface primer from Vallejo.

The bases were done using cheap acrylic paints from Kaisercraft, following my usually recipe of Raw Umber as the base coat then drybrushed with Mud puddle and finally Mocha.  The bases were then flocked with a 50/50 blend of Army Painter Spring Grass and Grass Green before adding some Gamer’s Grass tufts.  The edges of the base were painted with Foundry Charcoal Grey (34B) and I went over the firing arc lines with a 0.3mm grey fine liner.

I glued the arms to the riders, the riders and steering handles to the speeders and attached the footrests to complete the assembly.

I covered the base stem with a plastic drinking straw before varnishing the base with spray-on Army Painted Matt Varnish as I didn’t want the clear acrylic to fog up from the varnish.  The speeders and attached riders were also spray varnished and then I brushed on some Vallejo satin varnish to the rider’s chest armour to give it a little shine.  The speeders fit snugly on their stems so at the moment I’ve left them unglued for ease of storage.

These were fun models to build and paint and all that’s left of the Imperial side of the core box is Darth Vader himself…

 

Leave a comment

%d bloggers like this:
Skip to toolbar